I was up all night working on this and I can’t sleep so what better way to make me sleepy them write blog posts. I’ll let you know if it works.
Like many of you on the forums and blogs you may have experienced the System Center Service Manager (SCSM) monitoringhost.exe consuming all available CPU resources for a long period of time. I opened the case with Microsoft and we proceeded to work a decision tree into well in the night with no solution. We did determined the issue was related to the sending of e-mails whether they be notification e-mails or subscription e-mails.
This morning while waiting for the Microsoft SCSM engineer to call back and continue our diagnosis I decided to create an SMTP server locally on the SCSM server and pointed the e-mail channel to the local SMTP server instead of Exchange. After having done this the problem went away. I created about 30 change requests and incidents all with notifications and subscriptions and monitoringhost.exe did not consume the CPU as it had done before.
Soon after the engineer called back, I was able to walk him through this solution we changed the SMTP channel back to exchange and reproduced the problem. We changed it back to the SMTP server and did not have a problem. The engineer is going to work this solution in the lab at Microsoft. While this is a work around there still is an issue for those of you who must use Exchange for the SMTP channel.
The case is still open and I will post any resolution on this blog.